Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: VMP Tuning - HORROR Story - Ripped Off by VMPTuning.com

Stangman Jonathan is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default VMP Tuning - HORROR Story - Ripped Off by VMPTuning.com

VMP Tuning (VMPTuning.com) was recommended to me by several individuals on several mustang and f150 forums as a forum of tuning my 04 F150. Turned out to be a 2 month horror story resulting in further mechanical damages to my F150.

I had requested simple tunes for my 04 F150 to work with my 4.56 Gears, Troyer Underdrive Pulleys, Banks CAI Intake, and Magnaflow Dual Exhaust with X-pipe.

Note: My 2004 Ford F150 was perfectly find before attempting VMP's "Fault" Tunes and was running great from the day it was "customized" with added lift/tires/wheels/gears and pulleys.

Timeline of my Drama Fiasco
    • Sept 15, 2011 at 9:31am: Emailed Justin requesting to order custom tunes for my F150
    • Sept 15, 2011 at 10:50am: Responded back with $399 plus tax for X3 with 3 Custom Tunes
    • Sept 15, 2011 at 11:02am: Emailed back with time to order tunes
    • Sept 15, 2011 at 11:21am: Responded back and was told it would take 1-2 weeks
    • Placed my order one Sept 29, 2011 at 9:26am: Received my invoice.
    • October 17, 2011 at 10:35am: he emails me to let me know its on the way (over 2 weeks but I was still patient)
    • October 20th I received the tunes. Installed the 87 Performance Tune that day.
    • Friday Oct. 21, 2011 at 6:10pm: I emailed Justin to tell him that the 87 tune caused my F150 to stall several times while driving on the highway in rush hour and would through the Emission System Light.
    • Sat. Oct. 22, 2011 at 12:28am: He asks for the strategy code
    • Sun. Oct 23, 2011 at 1:40pm: I reply to him with the strategy code and also tell him that after trying the 93 tune which he also included, it caused further damage to my truck. Start throwing code P0300 and P0306. All caused by the 93 Tune.
    • (From here to the 27th we went back and forth on the strategy code which I provided to him several times, my EDGE Tuner displays when it loads so I knew what it was.)
    • Oct 27, 2011 at 6:33pm: I emailed him to tell him I got the truck back from the shop in great running shape with a $530 Repair bill for fouled plugs, bad coil and system flush to make sure the truck was running better. I was hoping he would offer new tunes or a solution but nothing.
    • Nov 10, 2011 at 7:20pm: I request my money back since I hadn't heard from in almost two weeks; his excuse was that he was in Vegas at SEMA (once again still no solution to my tunes, eh could've checked the tunes he sent me, adjusted and resent me new ones)
    • Nov 23, 2011 at 5:32pm: He finally confirmed his shipping return address so I could mail him back the package. Had to wait 13 days for this!
    • I mailed out the SCT Tuner and he received it on 11/30/11.
    • Another 2 weeks before he actually decided to refund me. I got email today (12/12/11) saying I was refunded a partial amount of $270 along with this response where he claims his tunes are correct and flawless and my truck which I take care of like my 2nd baby is the issue.

---------------------------------
    Hi, I just refunded the card.

I looked at the tunes, there was nothing wrong with them.* It is the same type of tunes I send out for the 100s of trucks like yours that I have tuned.* They can’t cause an ignition coil to go bad.* I have seen that issue before on trucks that are not tuned, so we just have to take it as normal wear and tear that happened at the same time.* The labor rates on that sheet were pretty outrageous and I can’t be responsible for that ($326 to diagnose).* The actual parts were not very expensive.

In accordance with the terms and conditions on my website, which you agreed to when checking out, we do not refund custom tuning labor.* The available remedy is that we will work with you to review datalogs and adjust tunes if necessary, since you did not take that I gave you the refund on the hardware which is $270.

Thanks,
    Justin Starkey
    VMP Tuning
    ---------------------------------

To counter his remarks on this damage being normal wear; My 04 F150 had it's plugs changed at Downs Ford on 2/19/2010 at 59,161 miles. When the damage to the truck was inflicted by these tunes, the truck had 77637 miles on it when the spark plugs were replaced yet again.
    Based on his remarks, how does normal qualify for Spark Plugs to go bad in just under 20,000 miles?

He also did not mention any further dataloging or effort in helping me especially with his slow responses. I have him 2 months and he didn't offer any solution just stringed me along. Its funny how He responds super fast to sales (as you can see by the first few emails) but once your a customer with issues, he brushes off your concerns....(I'm glad I did all this by email to have it all in writing.)

If you searh VMP Tuning, there's complaints of this company right on the first page: (stupidly me I should've done this first since I do this for every other company before I shop): Google Search

Please note: That anyone who had recommended them to me holds no blames or concerns, I should've done my own research into this company. If I had stuck to my gut I could've order re-tunes from Power Hungry Performance and had them by now. (Truck has been running on their tune for over 2 years without a single issue.....I guess I'll just do that now and see how long it takes, at least I can trust their tuning to be reliable).

I know I am not going to get a full refund nor get reimbursed for the damage that my truck inflicted on itself according to Justin at VMP Tuning; so I just wish to let everyone else know of the b.s. that I went through and to avoid them if you choose, I personally do not recommend them and they will NEVER be a sponsor on here.

End of my insanely long rant....now off to spend more money and get my F150 tuned right
    Last edited by Stangman Jonathan; 12-12-2011 at 09:33 PM.
    Jonathan's Nadine
    2005 Mustang 4.6 Conversion
    - Detroit Rockers CAMS, TCI Torque Converter, Kooks Long Tubes w/Catted H-Pipe, KR500 Mufflers, FRRP CAI w/CDC Shaker & tuned by Big Daddy Performance, Roush Height-Adjustable Coil-Overs, Adjustable PHB Bar, Upgraded Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Front Control Arm Brace, Glossy Black FR500 18x10 wheels on 275s all around.

NJStangers' Blog | NJSEOs Website Design & Internet Marketing | One Day Water Damage Restoration

Diablo750 is offline 4th Gear Member

Sorry you went through that I promise I will never use him and i will send everyone away from him! I hate shitty business men.
    Shadow
    ShadowKHC 1 1

3. Angry

Wow, that's insane!

It sounds like this guy and Fred Cook from Evolution Performance should get together and form the worst aftermarket tuning company in the world.

I feel your brain brother. I recognized those misfire codes right away - P0300 and P0306. That is exactly the codes I got on my Mustang when the engine died
    Last edited by pugboy; 12-13-2011 at 06:02 AM. Reason: sp
    My crazy Website can be found here!

98blackgt is offline Allstar

if you have a business, and you mess up, you always should make it right reguardless of what it is. and if u dont you get horrible reviews/write ups which tend to take your customers away.

Jon good luck with the truck hope everything works out
    sigpic 1

1998 Ford Mustang GT "Mariah"
    1995 Ford F-150

Blog Entries

Thanks I'd be happy if he gave me a full refund as I had asked. I know he has successfully tuned many guy's cars on here but there's always a chance for one bad tune and he did nothing to correct and yet couldn't issue me a full refund, bad enough it cost me money, a full refund would've helped.

All my fault and I could've had a new colored display Gryphon tuner for alittle more of what I spent on this tuner and probably had no issues: http://www.gopowerhungry.com/_gryphon_cts_gas.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by pugboy View Post
    Wow, that's insane!

It sounds like this guy and Fred Cook from Evolution Performance should get together and form the worst aftermarket tuning company in the world.

I feel your brain brother. I recognized those misfire codes right away - P0300 and P0306. That is exactly the codes I got on my Mustang when the engine died
    Thanks! He's actually not as bad as they are known lol

It just seems to be a bad tuning issue along with poor customer service to resolve the situation from day 1. Now if my F150 died, I'd probably be at his shop the next day with a bill...lol
    Last edited by Stangman Jonathan; 12-13-2011 at 06:16 AM.
    Jonathan's Nadine
    - Detroit Rockers CAMS, TCI Torque Converter, Kooks Long Tubes w/Catted H-Pipe, KR500 Mufflers, FRRP CAI w/CDC Shaker & tuned by Big Daddy Performance, Roush Height-Adjustable Coil-Overs, Adjustable PHB Bar, Upgraded Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Front Control Arm Brace, Glossy Black FR500 18x10 wheels on 275s all around.

NJStangers' Blog | NJSEOs Website Design & Internet Marketing | One Day Water Damage Restoration

slvrgt is offline 1st Gear Member

this sux man! i put it up on FB for ya. hope evrything gets workd out

Blog Entries

Thanks, I'm still waiting for the partial refund which isn't showing on my gift card, should've used my Citi card that would've made it easier to report this to them and get a complete refund back...they always side with the customer as long as they have proof.
    Jonathan's Nadine

Matticus91 is offline Mahderaytohrrrrrr

double facepalm
    pugboy likes this.
    -Matt

2carssigedittiny 1peelout
    2002 GT Manual Coupe, Silver on Black Leather with some mods. The rain/snow mobile
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650R Black on black zero mods. The daily driver

Want your car photographed/filmed? Click HERE!

Diablo750 is offline 4th Gear Member

^lol
    Shadow
    ShadowKHC 1 1

Blog Entries

Finally got my b.s. partial refund. I had ranted to him last night in an email response (kept my cool and language civil)

His response this afternoon which I am still trying to make sense of, especially the last part.....anyone?

Hey John, you don’t have a clue do you. You have no idea what I pay for SCT tuners.

One question, do you own your truck?
    Jonathan's Nadine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information