Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stangman Jonathan

Thread: 04 Ford F150 5.4 Fuel Leak/Smell when Low on Gas

Stangman Jonathan is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

On my 04 Ford F150 w/ 5.4L I'm getting a strange fuel smell inside the F150 Cab possibly associated with a fuel leak when my F150 is approaching the Low Fill mark in the Gas Tank (way before I get the Fuel Light). I don't think its Filler Neck related but I would like find a way to get this problem solved before the truck goes up in smoke lol.

I'm on a pretty tight budget now due to my ridiculous monthly payments on my student loans and don't feel like throwing a few hundred bucks to a shop to fix it (or so i'd hope and pay some diagnostic fee) so if anyone has any idea as to what it may be or how I can find out, that would be great.

F150 has 80k on it

I'll be doing some more research on F150 forums but so far it may related to some hose I have running by spare tire mount according to other F150 guys.

I appreciate this guys! Thanks!

Not sure if this is associated, but I have a pretty loud front squeal/power steering-like noise when I first start the truck and start to turn the steering wheel....after I start driving away...it goes away.....more than likely that's related to the Power Steering Pump or Lower Steering Shaft as this guy had to replace:
    http://www.f150forum.com/f4/replaced...g-shaft-97069/
    Last edited by Stangman Jonathan; 12-28-2011 at 05:45 PM.
    Jonathan's Nadine
    2005 Mustang 4.6 Conversion
    - Detroit Rockers CAMS, TCI Torque Converter, Kooks Long Tubes w/Catted H-Pipe, KR500 Mufflers, FRRP CAI w/CDC Shaker & tuned by Big Daddy Performance, Roush Height-Adjustable Coil-Overs, Adjustable PHB Bar, Upgraded Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Front Control Arm Brace, Glossy Black FR500 18x10 wheels on 275s all around.

NJStangers' Blog | NJSEOs Website Design & Internet Marketing | One Day Water Damage Restoration

kittyspike is offline Nikki Doodadz

Are you throwing a code at all? When this started going on with my '99 it was just the stupid fuel cap. Cost $2 to replace, and no more light, and no more gas smell.

It's probably not the same thing at all, but was just curious if you had any lights on from it. Wished you lived closer to New Brunswick - this is where having a brother that's a professional mechanic comes in handy; he can often look at things off the clock and not have to charge people.
    `Nikki

newsig 5
    2010 V6 Premium Coupe: custom-made 'grabber blue' and black leather interior, 18" charcoal AMR wheels, custom stripes, 4 piece billet grill, Raxiom Black Projector Headlights, GT500 Rear Valence, NXT Color-match Hood Lift Kit, SHR Black Fuel Door

Performance mods: BBK CAI, Pypes True Dual Exhaust conversion, Pypes Shorty Headers, Ford Racing Strut Tower Brace, Steeda Tubular Lower Control Arms

Blog Entries

Actually that was something I was going to try even though I've had a locking gas cap on it since when I got it.......hmm that's very true........it did throw a EVAP code a few times but it has only come on every 300 to 500 miles and I haven't seen it a while.....i'm going to try a new gas cap this week and see.
    kittyspike likes this.
    Jonathan's Nadine
    - Detroit Rockers CAMS, TCI Torque Converter, Kooks Long Tubes w/Catted H-Pipe, KR500 Mufflers, FRRP CAI w/CDC Shaker & tuned by Big Daddy Performance, Roush Height-Adjustable Coil-Overs, Adjustable PHB Bar, Upgraded Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Front Control Arm Brace, Glossy Black FR500 18x10 wheels on 275s all around.

NJStangers' Blog | NJSEOs Website Design & Internet Marketing | One Day Water Damage Restoration

kittyspike is offline Nikki Doodadz

I just remembered it was actually my seal that had gone bad - damn thing had rotted right off the car. Everytime my brother really screwed the cap on tight the light would go off - but over time it would come right back on, 'cuz you have to get gas!

The seal was like $2 - so try that! *fingers crossed*
    `Nikki

newsig 5
    2010 V6 Premium Coupe: custom-made 'grabber blue' and black leather interior, 18" charcoal AMR wheels, custom stripes, 4 piece billet grill, Raxiom Black Projector Headlights, GT500 Rear Valence, NXT Color-match Hood Lift Kit, SHR Black Fuel Door

Performance mods: BBK CAI, Pypes True Dual Exhaust conversion, Pypes Shorty Headers, Ford Racing Strut Tower Brace, Steeda Tubular Lower Control Arms

Blog Entries

Well I'm kinda ticked.....I just found out today that one of my evap hoses was totally clipped off where it goes......I stupidly didn't look at my truck since the last time I got it back from the shop that last worked on it to do the plugs about a month or 2 ago......there's no way in hell it happened any other way. It has a c clip that doesn't just pop out. Took it to a shop today for the power steering noise and he noticed it right away...felt like an ass since I spend lots of time under the hood of the F150 but didn't for the last few months.....would've found out in 2 weeks when I have to do the oil change....completely noticeable too.

I wonder how much extra fuel i was burning due to this for the last month or two.
    Jonathan's Nadine

Thread Information